Monday, September 20, 2010

New Car


So my old 1988 Honda decided to pack it in on Friday night. Was turning into my street and noticed that the temperature was climbing. Pulled into the driveway and turned the engine off. Next thing I knew all the coolant was pouring from underneath the car and across the driveway. Called the RACV and after about a minute he said it was most likely my head gasket. I don't know much about cars, but I know head gasket = $$$. That has lead me to make the decision that it is time for a new car. This and the fact that:
  • the roof leaks (water pools in the ceiling of the car and then pours all over my arm.
  • the fuel gauge doesn't work (at least it always says it's full)
  • the boot doesn't stay open (it needs re-gassing and continually falls on my head)
There are heaps of other things wrong with it, but they are the things that annoy me the most.

I've decided that I would like to buy a new car. This is something that I'm very excited about. I'm not 100% decided on what I want yet. On Saturday we went and looked at lots of cars (new and second hand) and took a few for a test drive.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Corolla.


I haven't looked at a Mazda 3 yet, but I was thinking about checking it out too. We test drove a Ford Fiesta (fun, but very cramped) and a Nissan Micra (no guts). I would love to get a VW, but I can't afford a new one and all the second hand ones are in awful condition.

I fell sick at the prospect of spending that amount of money, but I know it will be money well spent. I have about half saved, so while I would have to take out a loan, it wouldn't be too big.


5 comments:

  1. My Dad has a Mazda 3 and loves it. I know you just had a Honda, but we have a 2005 Civic and it's the best car I've ever had, I really love it and it's 100% reliable. Sorry your older one died though, I understand why you might want a change to a different car. But it sounds like it did well for it's age!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting a new car! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon and I are thinking of getting a new car soon too - probably second hand, something smaller than the magna he has now, and less of a gas guzzler.

    I've heard that Corolla's are supposed to be excellent, and hold their value well. I also really like the Mazda 3 and the i30, and the Yaris is cute (but if Andy has one you prob don't want the same car).

    eee - it's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! It is very exciting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep in mind, Corolla's are the CHEAPEST car to repair and service!

    ReplyDelete